…And I quote Josie: “We need to order you up some good days PDQ!”
Me: “Yes please.”
I’ve been painfully honest (well for me anyway) the past few weeks about my health struggles with some neurological symptoms related to my original illness. Walking, getting out of chairs, not falling… have been a struggle. No one seems to understand what’s going on so I’m going in for what I lovingly refer to as the crap-shoot (crap being the operative syllable) treatment. (Have I mentioned I’ve been kinda cranky lately?)
I’ve been getting a series of IV infusions over the past few weeks. Despite the efforts of my insurance company to the contrary, it went well last week. But hey, that was a whole week ago. I actually started feeling some stronger and thinking … “hmmm… maybe this will turn around… chuck one more life onto the pile.” I even admitted it in print! GO FIGURE!
Then something happened . 2cc’s into the infusion and I was heading down the brightly lit tunnel. It’s amazing how fast your life turns around. I had a reaction that sent me into shock and the next thing I knew I was looking at the business end of a crash cart and a team of 7 professionals all at once saying things like:
Nurse one: “Stay with us now”
Nurse two: “is still she out?”
Me: “No, I’m not, so be careful not to say anything too damning. Ouch! That stings huh? What are you shooting into me?”
Doctor now arriving: ” Something to bring you down, and then we’ll fill you full of steroids to make you hyper and so agitated you can’t sleep. And then later on we’ll give you all the caffeine you want!”
Me: “Haha… Do my eyes always roll like this in my head or am I just happy to see you?”
Doctor: “It’s both right? You get snarky when this happens huh? ”
Me: “Sorry. It’s the steroids talking, although you shouldn’t mislead all these nice people into thinking this isn’t our usual witty repartee.”
After some time and stabilizing, talk of transferring me to inpatient ensued. I spent the night heaving, and trying to keep my eyeballs from falling out (well okay,there was probably no real danger of that happening but that’s what the migraine felt like.)
The next morning, my friend the Doctor returned. (He really is an awesome guy.)
Doctor: “Hey kiddo, you look like hell. Any more heart problems?”
Me: “Yeah, it keeps beating. Can I go home?”
Doctor: “You’re asking?”
Me: “Don’t start with me, you.”
I got home earlier today. Doug was happy to see me. He had spent the night with our neighbors. Oh, yeah, I cut my hair. Surprisingly this is not the first time I have left the hospital with a new hairstyle. The migraine was so bad I figured taking ten inches or so off my tresses could only help. Surprisingly it did! I still have a headache but it definitely helped.
So let’s take a tally shall we? That kinda rhymes… yes, I’m still a little punchy…
1. People in my circle. Internet and Real life.
2. There is potential for treatment that could keep me mobile. Even if we have to figure out a different kind.
3. A really responsive emergency team.
4. My doc.
5. My eyeballs did NOT fall out.
6. Have I mentioned Douglas?
7. I don’t mind having short hair again. I find I don’t get dizzy rinsing it out in the shower… hidden benefits.
8. Remember the fruitcake? Well who knew that Rumple guy would be so gratitudinous? I mean it was just a bunch of flourescent fruit, sugared into petrification and baked into a brick! What a lovely guy. He wanted to thank me so that when he said something like, “I may have gone overboard in making you a few cd’s of music to sample,” I thought he made two maybe three cd’s… Well the package came yesterday from the warmer climes of Kentucky. It was in shock and covered in snow on my doorstep… and it contained this…
Amazing , yes? And to top it off… each has a typewritten contents page! Who knew Mister-Current-Events-Scare-the-Bejesus- Outa-You-With-the-Scary-Stories was such a sweetheart!? Ok, he had kinda leaked it out, but still! Amazing!
9. That despite very high winds, snow deeper than a foot over the course of the past few days, there has been no nasty sleet or freezing rain to muck up the works.
10. I am also grateful that my internet connection is back for a bit tonight at least long enough to type this out!
Have a good weekend and thanks for letting me vent … I really gotta get some better stuff going. cuz I’m sick of hearing myself kvetch, but I can’t seem to help it right now.