The irrational fear of Friday the 13th is called friggatriskaidekaphobia. The prefix Frigga comes from the Norse goddess of love, of the same name. Her day of worship was Friday, but she was thought to be a witch by early Christians. Friday was therefore declared the Witch’s Sabbath – kind of a bad rap.
Here are a few fun facts about Friday the 13th:
- Any month that starts on a Sunday contains a Friday the 13th.
- There is at least one Friday the 13th in a calendar year.
- There can be up to three Friday the 13ths in a month.
- A month with three Friday the 13ths will start with a Thursday. The months with three of the fated days will be February, March, and November if it is NOT a leap year. (2015)
- During a leap year starting on a Sunday (2o12) January, April, and July will have three Friday the 13ths.
- Fourteen months is the longest period of time without a Friday the 13th occurring.